Nelson Civic Theatre Society
Front of House Coordinator Job Description
Job Description: Supervision and administration of customer service team
Position Title: Front of House Coordinator
The Nelson Civic Theatre Society Front of House Coordinator is responsible for the effective operation of the theatre during films, rental events, and other programming, and for creating a welcoming and enjoyable experience for patrons. This comprises projection and other event technology (training provided) and floor supervision duties.
The Front of House Coordinator provides leadership and fosters a positive work environment for all employees and ensures employees’ duties are carried out efficiently with proper training provided.
The Front of House Coordinator is responsible for scheduling and supervising Floor Leads, box office, and concession staff. They are also responsible for overseeing additional Front of House volunteers required to operate the theatre. Effective control of cash and tickets is paramount. Effective communication with various staff and volunteers throughout the organization concerning all activities in the theatre is crucial. The Front of House Coordinator, together with the Operations Administrator, models the standard for all staff and volunteers in punctuality, hospitality, organization, attention to detail, and attention to the condition of the theatre.
The Front of House Coordinator has primary responsibility for concession sales, including inventory counts, stocking orders/deliveries, and experimenting with the sales mix, in consultation with the Executive Director. The Front of House Coordinator reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the Operations Administrator to ensure smooth transitions between day and evening staff.
- Order and receiving/pick-up of concession inventory
- Receive and prepare films for return shipment with Greyhound
- Create interior signage as needed
- Collaborate with Operations Administrator on specific duties as needed
- In collaboration with the Programming Director, create events and products for screenings on the website
STAFF AND VOLUNTEER MANAGEMENT TASKS
- Schedule box, concession staff, and front-of-house volunteers
- Develop and maintain a positive, team-driven, high-performance work culture, including day to day oversight of Floor Leads, concession, box office staff, and front-of-house volunteers. Ensurethat staff and volunteer teams feel connected and collaborative.
- Play a leadership role in recruiting and training volunteers
- Plan and hold staff training sessions, both on shift and at dedicated times to ensure that all staff gain the required knowledge to support a safe and healthy workplace
- Lead the Health and Safety Committee
The Front of House Coordinator undertakes several supervisory shifts each week or oversees Floor Leads on their shifts. Duties for public events include:
Physical Plant and Projection
- Prepare theatre for opening; welcome patrons and address any patron issues; close and lock theatre after events.
- Receive and securely store all equipment, film, poster, concession and janitorial supply deliveries.
- Prepare the physical plant for regular operations, including space and storage organization.
- Ingest films and prepare playlist and pre-film slide show as necessary.
- Correctly operate the projection and sound equipment, and keep it in good condition, as instructed.
- Coordinate professional cleaning, garbage pickup, and maintenance and repair issues with the Operations Administrator, as needed.
- Change marquee and posters in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all materials in the lobby and outside of the theatre are up to date and neatly displayed.
- Change programming information line phone message in a timely manner.
- Update on-screen advertising slideshow as needed.
Cash and Ticket Management
- Prepare nightly floats.
- Validate and countersign cash reconciliations with assigned staff; ensure complete and legible reconciliations daily.
- Reconcile cash; prepare requests for sufficient change for next events.
- Reconcile tickets, prepare and deliver box office totals to Rentrack.
- Accurately record distribution and redemption of vouchers.
- Accurately record distribution and redemption of gift certificates.
- Manage our concession inventory, including counting, ordering, pickup, storage, loss prevention, analysis of unit cost and profit margin.
- Recommend changes in inventory due to recognition of audience preference, seasonal changes, etc. Work with Executive Director to prepare Prepare cost/benefit analysis to support recommendations.
- Ensure timely submission of Rentrak reports.
- Ensure nightly internal Front of House reports are completed.
- Friendly, outgoing personality
- Excellent communication skills
- Customer service experience
- Staff management experience
- Cash handling experience
- Reliable, conscientious, strong work ethic
- Ability to work and make effective decisions under pressure
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, WordPress, Google Drive, and Gmail, with an aptitude for digital skills and a willingness to learn additional software as necessary
- Team player
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, and occasional daytimes
- Cinema or theatre operations experience
- Projection experience
- Serving It Right Certificate
- Food Safe Certificate
- Rigging experience
- First Aid experience
- Experience working with youth
- Drivers License and access to a vehicle
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to our executive director, Eleanor at: email@example.com with – Front of House Coordinator as the email subject.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The Civic Theatre is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or gender identity.
To download this job description as a PDF: